After the squad relocated to Oklahoma from Seattle, it was not the best time for the entire City Thunder squad from Oklahoma. Participation in the competitive period of 2008 began with a series of crushing defeats. The crew achieved the worst result in the history of the squad.
Let’s see what measures helped the squad turn the game in their favor and get acquainted with the main successes of the crew from the time of the move to the present day.
The Dawn of the Team Since 2009
After a poor half of the competitive season, it was decided to replace old coach PJ Carlissimo with Scott Brooks. He carried out thorough work on the mistakes and in the second half of the season, the squad achieved a result of 20 wins with 30 losses. This result inspired the crew and the management to sign a long-term contract with a new coach.
The competitive season of 2009 was marked by the replenishment of the crew with new young athletes.
The new line-up, under the guidance of a new coach, quickly began to win inspiring victories. The crew easily defeated one of the most famous basketball squads in the US, the Los Angeles Lakers, which allowed them to take one of the leading lines in the basketball rankings. The 2009 period ended for the Thunder with a record of 50 wins and 32 losses.
The Main Successes of the Team
The group regularly updated its composition and changed the tactics of the game.
The most successful players were:
- Kevin Durant is a forward for the City Thunder from Oklahoma. In 2010, he became the best player with an average score of 30.1 points per match. For a five-year contract with this athlete, management paid Kevin $ 86 million.
- Russell Westbrook – Played defensive end for the City Thunder from Oklahoma from 2008 to 2019. During this period, he became one of the most valuable players on the team. In 2015, in a match against the East squad, he set the record among NBA athletes for the number of points in a half-game.
- James Harden is the first player to be drafted after the squad moved. He performed for the Oklahoma City Thunder from 2009 to 2012, for which he became the best sixth player according to the NBA.
- Paul George – Played for the Oklahoma City Thunder from 2017 to 2019 and brought many wins to the team. Lakers from Los Angeles fought for this athlete, but Paul chose to stay in the Thunder. Provided the crew with a series of victories in 4 matches in 2019.
- Steven Adams is the first New Zealand player to be selected in the first round of the NBA Draft. Played for a team from Oklahoma for seven years since 2013. During this time he was awarded the award as the best newcomer in the NBA.
- Jeff Green was one of the team’s main players from 2008 to 2011. The best result for the athlete was the match in which he scored 16 points. He was one of the three players on whom the coach built all the tactics of the group.
- The legendary City Thunder Oklahoma coach Scott Brooks deserves a special mention. It was he who helped break the losing streak by replacing the old coach and changing the course of the game. After the Oklahoma City Thunder scored 50 overcomes in the 2010 season, Brooks was named NBA Coach of the Year.
Oklahoma City Thunder is a team that will never disappoint!
The success of the squad and its ability to turn the tide of the game won the love of many fans. Become one of them and celebrate the victories of the Oklahoma crew that never gives up!