Give the Knicks credit: they had their way in the first six minutes. The rest of the game? Not so much.
In what was an expected victory, OKC made it a blowout victory. By the second quarter the game was double digits, and by the third quarter this game was wrapped up.
The Knicks had no outside shooting, going 4/22 (18%) from deep, and the Thunder quickly adjusted to prevent points in the paint. Despite several open looks throughout the game, the likes of Kevin Knox and RJ Barrett could not knock down enough shots to force the defense to commit to them.
Danilo Gallinari was multidimensional, knocking down the long range shots while also getting into the paint and drawing fouls. He led the team with 22 points on 3/8 from 3PT and 5/6 FT.
Most of the second half was a coast, featuring several bench players who don’t usually see that many minutes. The last time these two teams faced, OKC was 22% 3PT and tonight it was the Knicks who were cold. Oh how the turntables…..…….…..
Outside of basketball, this night was one to remember. The victims from 9/11 memorial and the OKC bombing memorial came together to exchange jerseys signed by their respective teams. Nick Collison, representing OKC, was there to share the moment. It was a special occasion to say the least.
And now the notes!
- A female firefighter at the 9/11 attacks sung the national anthem beautifully. How does one woman have so much badass
- The Knicks are determined to make 3PT shots that have absolutely zero chance of going in
- Mitchell Robinson has hops. Maybe they should use that more.
- Kevin Knox II is bad. That is all.
- I had no idea how many first responders were at both the 9/11 attacks and the OKC bombing. Those dudes and dudettes are absolute studs.
- Turns out when you adjust the defense to stop points in the paint it works quite well against the Knicks.
- At the end of the half Kevin Knox is still bad and the Knicks just don’t make 3PT shots.
- Per Chris Fisher, Lu Dort has 20 starts this season. Every other 2-way player has 13 started combined.
- Nerlens Noel hangtime is insane. He just floats there. No wonder he gets so many alley oops.
- The Knicks have their first 3PT shot six minutes into the 3rd quarter. Congratulations!!
- I wish there was a stat showing the average distance away from the basket for each attempted 3PT. If that existed the Knicks would be leading the league by a mile.
- Yeah this is officially “blowout” territory. Just what you want to see against this Knicks team.
- Michael Cage forgot CP3 missed a game. That game happened to be the one after Kobe’s passing. Yikes.
- Well, all the reserves are out there just doing their thing. Guess this one is over.