Wow. That ending was not what any of us expected.
It was an OKC double digit lead on and off for most of this one, but Detroit kept it close with excellent 3PT shooting. It didn’t matter if it was Knight, Wood, or that guy from Kansas whose name I can’t spell, they were raining them from everywhere.
But we know this Thunder team and what it’s done in the 4th quarter. Doesn’t matter if it’s a playoff or a lottery contender, you have to finish games strong. They did that tonight.
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander deserves immense praise. Tonight will be one that we look on years from now and say “this is when we knew he was gonna be a star”. He scored 27 points on just 15 shots. No that’s not a typo. 15 SHOTS. The man was deep in his bag of tricks again, and looked as smooth as a greased up pig that just ate a buttermilk biscuit with a side of butter cream.
He wasn’t the only key player tonight. Gallinari went 3/8 from deep, with the most important one coming with 21 seconds to go up one to make it a two-possession game. Chris Paul was efficient with 7/10 from the field, and Schroder was racking up the assists (9) to go with his 23 points.
Regardless of the opponent, this win felt critical. OKC was coming off two very bad losses, including the largest deficit in franchise history against the Bucks. They needed some momentum and they got it, albeit with a less-than-ideal ending. Regardless, it is momentum they can carry into their next game Friday against the Knicks.
And now, for your regularly scheduled postgame notes. Please note the capitalization change when things become quite tense in the game.
- Michael Cage is talking a little too much about the distinction between “creep” and “creeper”. I’m quite uncomfortable.
- So many 3’s. Give me all the 3’s. *insert Elmo raising hands behind a bed of fire gif*
- Dennis Schroder has transformed from the guy who fouls 3PT shots to the guy who draws 3PT shot fouls. You love to see it
- Thunder should be up by 50 in the 2nd but they forgot how to rebound. It’s almost like they have Andre Drummond OH WAIT.
- Steven Adams is now stealing passes like they are interceptions. It’s possible he thinks they are on a(n) (American) football field.
- I’ve said it countless times: Chris Fisher and Michael Cage are a divorced couple that are getting along for the sake of their kids. It’s the exact same energy
- The fact that it’s still a single point lead close to half is worrying me. We should be much farther ahead
- OKC was so close to shooting 69% from the field but Gallinari missed the next shot. Not nice.
- Gallinari is such a weapon. He’s taller than any perimeter defender and faster than most post defenders. You just can’t stop him if he’s cooking.
- Ferguson is playing aggressive offensively I repeat Ferguson is playing aggressive offensively.
- Correction to the above note. OKC shoots 69% from the field with 69 points at half. The nicest of nice.
- Shai has returned to his ultimate, buttery-smooth form that has not been present the last couple games.
- I’m stealing this from Andrew Schlecht because I feel the same way but every time Ferguson makes a three I feel like I’m cheering on my own hypothetical child at their basketball game.
- Steven Adams tried to shoot a full court shot at the buzzer and Detroit fouled him. Everyone says that was a dumb foul but I say that’s high IQ basketball. Everyone knows Adams is the deadliest shooter behind the halfcourt line.
- T-Ferg’s three is waived off between quarters, and then we get an offensive foul on the first play of the 4th quarter.
- Time for the 4th quarter CP3 midrange buckets. Like clockwork.
- What the hell is going on with Detroit? Every player is deadly from 3PT all of a sudden this game
- I REPEAT DETROIT HAS FIVE STEPH CURRY’S ON THE FLOOR IT’S RAINING THREES HELP
- IT IS TIME TO PANIC DETROIT JUST TOOK THE LEAD ON 3PT SHOTS ALONE
- DANILO GALLINARI AKA DANNY ICE MAKES IT TWO POSSESSION GAME WITH 21 SECONDS LEFT
- Christian Wood nearly hit a banked 3PT shot and to be honest I thought it was gonna go in based on Detroit’s shooting the rest of this game
- OKC just won this by the skin of their teeth. What a game.