Oklahoma City Thunder (0-0, 0-0 away)
Golden State Warriors (0-0, 0-0 home)
Tuesday, October 16 :: 9:30 p.m. CST :: Oracle Arena (19,596)
TV Coverage: TNT (245 DirecTV, 31 Cox, 730 HD 108 AT&T U-Verse, 138 Dish)
Radio Coverage: 98.1 FM/640AM/97.1 Tulsa
View from the enemy: Here.
Line: The Oklahoma City Thunder are a 13½-point underdogs. The over/under is 220½.
Online Stream: TNT | WWLS Sports Animal | Live Stats | Twitter | Facebook
Game Notes: Thunder: here | Warriors: here
SETTING THE SCENE
- The Oklahoma City Thunder are set to open their 2018-19 regular season tonight in Oakland against the hated Golden State Warriors at 9:30 p.m.
- The Thunder split their season series with the Dubs last season 2-2, both winning on each other’s home court. You know, the usual way things are supposed to happen.
- The Thunder are without a couple of key players but that won’t matter as it’s the 82 games and not just one. If this was college football, the season would be over. However, there’s no Mike Stoops so the Thunder could still go 82-0.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
- You can catch the radio on Oklahoma City’s WWLS, 98.1 FM. Matt Pinto will be your play-by-play voice. If you’re in Tulsa, catch it on 1450 AM.
- Tonight’s game is on TNT only.
SCOUTING THE WARRIORS
- The Golden State Warriors went 58-24 and were second in the Western Conference.
- This season, the Warriors with the addition of DeMarcus Cousins, the Warriors are expected to go 400-0 (estimate).
- All-time, the Oklahoma City Thunder are 137-110 against the Warriors.
- Since relocation, Oklahoma City is tied with the Warriors 18-18.
- When the games are played at the Oracle, the Thunder are 6-12 against the Warriors.
- In their last 10 games, the Thunder are 3-7 against Golden State.
- INJURY REPORT:
DeMarcus Cousins (Achilles) is out.
- Damion Lee (foot) is out.
- Shaun Livingston (foot) is a game-time decision.
- The Thunder’s largest margin of victory over Golden State came on Feb. 17, 2012, where Oklahoma City prevailed by a score of 110-87 (23-point margin of victory).
- Meanwhile, the Thunder’s largest margin of defeat (26 points) happened twice with the most recent occurrence coming on Nov. 3, 2016 (122-92 defeat).
THUNDER INJURY REPORT
- Andre Roberson (ruptured patellar tendon) is out
- Russell Westbrook (knee) is out.
- Steven Adams (back) is a game-time decision.
- Oklahoma City are still in California as they’ll play the LA Clippers on Friday, Oct. 19.
- Then, they’ll open their regular season home schedule on Sunday night against the Sacramento Kings.
WHAT’S IN A NAME
- The Philadelphia Warriors, named after the 1920s team that played in the American Basketball League.
- They won the championship in the inaugural 1946-47 season of the Basketball Association of America.
- The Warriors moved from Philadelphia to San Francisco after the 1961-62 season and retained their nickname.
- When the team relocated across the Bay to Oakland in 1971, they were renamed the Golden State Warriors.
Three Keys to the Game
Last season, the Oklahoma City Thunder needed their rebounding to win games. They were 35-11 when winning the rebounding battle. If Oklahoma City can find a way to out-rebound the Warriors, they may win this one.
Defend the three
Sure, the Warriors are going to jack up the threes. They’re going to do it at will. The Thunder need to force shooters off the three-point line and get themselves into contested shots. Oklahoma City’s defense is going to be their strong point tonight. If they don’t and the Warriors make it rain, it’s going to be a long night.
With three potential starters out, the Thunder’s bench is going to be short handed already. The Warriors are going to be this juggernaut and the Thunder are going to need to slay the beast without their superstars. Everyone from Jerami Grant and Alex Abrines are going to be the two that need to step up tonight.We invite you to follow Thunder Digest on Twitter and like Thunder Digest on Facebook. Don't forget to subsribe on Youtube! Our Podcast is on iTunes and on Stitcher. We also have a Thunder Digest Instagram account if you love fun Thunder photography!