Oklahoma City Thunder (1-1, 1-1 home) vs. Melbourne United
Sunday, Oct. 8:: 2:00 p.m. CST :: Chesapeake Energy Arena (18,203)
TV: FS Oklahoma (DirectTV 675, Dish 412, Cox 2037, HD 722, Tulsa Cox 1027, Suddenlink 38)
Online Stream: here.
Radio: WWLS Sports Animal 98.1 FM/640AM/97.1 Tulsa
View from the enemy: N/A
Notes: Thunder: here |Melbourne United: here
SETTING THE SCENE
- The Oklahoma City Thunder gained their first preseason win over the New Orleans Pelicans on Friday night 102-91.
- Paul George went bananas, scoring 25 points in 27 minutes on 7-of-14 shooting.
- Oklahoma City now welcomes Melbourne United into the Peake. United, who plays in the National Basketball league in Australia, comes to the Peake for a pre-season exhibition for them. They start their schedule next saturday on Oct. 14.
- Last season, Melbourne United went 13-15 and finished sixth in the NBL.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
- You can catch the radio on Oklahoma City’s WWLS, 98.1 FM. Matt Pinto will be your play-by-play voice. If you’re in Tulsa, catch it on 1450 AM.
- Brian Davis and Michael Cage call the game on the Thunder’s flagship station, Fox Sports Oklahoma. You can watch the game there, catch it on NBA League Pass, or use the Fox Sports App (If you’re in Oklahoma).
- The Oklahoma City Thunder added a bunch of new faces this year.
- Paul George was acquired on June 30 for Domantas Sabonis and Victor Oladipo.
- Carmelo Anthony joins the Thunder after Oklahoma City sent Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and a second round pick to the Knicks for Anthony.
- Oklahoma City also signed Raymond Felton and Patrick Patterson via free agency.
- Terrance Ferguson was drafted in the first round out of Australia.
Scouting Melbourne United
- Melbourne United and the Oklahoma City Thunder have never played before.
- Oklahoma City vs. international teams in preseason games are 4-1. Their only loss was to Real Madrid last season.
- Melbourne United went 13-15 in the NBL last season, finishing sixth. The season before they finished the regular season 20-10 and first place. They were eliminated in the first round of their playoffs.
- Peter Hooley (ankle) and Chris Goulding (appendix) are out for United.
- Melbourne United added Dillon Stith (former Mel. United player), Andre Dawkins (former G-League player), and Antonious Cleveland (Cut from Warriors camp last year) to fill out their roster.
- Other Notables: David Andersen (played in the NBA for two seasons); Josh Boone (played at UConn and a few seasons with the Nets); Casey Prather (G-League); Casper Ware (spent one season in the NBA with 76ers)
- Russell Westbrook (knee) is should play.
- Patrick Patterson (knee) is OUT.
- Alex Abrines (knee) is OUT.
Still good odds
- According to Sportsbook, the Oklahoma City Thunder have the sixth best odds to win the Larry O’Brien trophy.
- They have the fourth best odds to win the Western Conference behind, the Clippers, Spurs, Rockets, and the Warriors.
- The Thunder will travel to Denver on Tuesday night for an 8 p.m. tip-off with the Nuggets.
- Then, they’ll travel to Denver on Tuesday night for an 8 p.m. tip-off with the Nuggets.
Things to watch
How the Big 3 play together
Oklahoma City has three big weapons and how they play together for the first time. Hopefully it’s a quick gel and the Thunder can run together well. If they struggle, it could be a long season for the Thunder.
Oklahoma City isn’t really deep. Hopefully we don’t see too many injuries and will find ourselves on the ends of a solid squad when this game ticks down. The last thing we need is a frivolous injury that bleeds into the regular season.
Hey Bench, show up
The different bench rotations will be interesting. It won’t mean much right now with Patterson and Abrines out. However, seeing a little consistency early will be big for the Thunder. If the bench goes out and scores super low numbers, eye brows will raise and the medias will talk.We invite you to follow Thunder Digest on Twitter and like Thunder Digest on Facebook. Our Podcast is on iTunes. We also have a Thunder Digest Instagram account if you love fun Thunder photography!