Russell Westbrook has ascended into basketball legend by averaging a triple-double for the entire 2016-17 NBA season. The Oklahoma City Thunder point guard completed his run at history tonight by becoming the first player since the 1961-62 season to achieve this statistical anomaly set by the great Oscar Robertson.
With his performance tonight, Westbrook has achieved what many over the years said could never be done.
Something this historic requires exactly that. History.
- John F. Kennedy begins his second year as President of the United States
- Eleanor Roosevelt dies at 78
- The Cuban Missile Crisis
- Johnny Carson begins his 30 year stint as the host of NBC’s Tonight Show
- Wilt Chamberlain scores 100 points on March 2nd in Hershey, Pennsylvania
- The first WalMart is opened in Rogers, Arkansas
- Marilyn Monroe is found dead at 32
- James Meredith, a black student, begins his study at the formerly-segregated University of Mississippi
- Actors Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, Steve Carell and Demi Moore are born as well as Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett
- Alabama defeats Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl to claim the national championship
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame
- The Boston Celtics defeat the Los Angeles Lakers in seven games to win the NBA Finals
- The average NBA salary was $13,000.00
- The average cost of a new home was $12,500.00
- The average income per year was $5,556.00
- The average monthly rent was $111.00
- Marvel superhero Spider Man debuts in Amazing Fantasy #15
- The Beatles release their first recording “Love Me Do“
- Lawrence of Arabia grosses over $44 million dollars to become the #1 movie of the year
- A triple-double is averaged by a single player over an entire NBA season…
Robertson’s final game of the regular season came on March 3rd of that year. It has been 55 years since an NBA player has reached this historic accomplishment.
Take a bow, Russell. This is your moment.We invite you to follow Thunder Digest on Twitter and like Thunder Digest on Facebook. Don't forget to subsribe on Youtube! Our Podcast is on iTunes and on Stitcher. We also have a Thunder Digest Instagram account if you love fun Thunder photography!